Wednesday, October 14, 2009

...and skating news. EDIT: Sasha Cohen Withdrew WHAT A FUCKING SHOCK PFFFT.

For whatever reason Skate America is not the first event of the season this year. Instead we're treated to the event with what I feel is always at least the best camera work, Trophee Eric Bompard in Paris.

Here is the TV schedule, because I know some of you aren't at SU with me anymore to have me remind you on a daily basis when skating will happen, a shame:

NBC Sports/Universal Sports Trophee Eric Bompard Broadcast Schedule
Friday, Oct. 16 (Universal Sports) - 5-7 p.m. ET/Encore Presentation: 8-10 p.m. ET
Saturday, Oct. 17 (Universal Sports) - 5-7 p.m. ET/Encore Presentation: 10-11 p.m. ET
Sunday, Oct. 18 (NBC Sports) - 1-3 p.m. ET
Sunday, Oct. 18 (Universal Sports) - 5-7 p.m. ET

All the events look pretty yawn worthy except for Ladies, which will feature among others Americans Caroline Zhang (Tiny skater with amazing flexibility and artistry/poor speed and BAD technique on her lutz. Like Tara Lipinski awful, but she's otherwise charming) and Alexe Gilles (I've never seen her skate Senior, but I watched videos of her from Junior regionals and she seems pleasant enough).

Here is what is actually relevant to this competition:


Notice that I am not making fun of Japan's Mao Asada's slightly crossed eyes/ridiculous expression like I did all the time in college. Truly I have become a woman.

VS.

South Korea's Yu Na Kim who as far as I'm concerned has already won the 2010 Olympic gold medal in like every sport even ones she doesn't compete in. This girl is a monster.

I wish there was more depth in Ladies figure skating this year, especially it being an Olympic year, but since there's not I'll enjoy watching these two fight it out year long since, sadly and frankly, I don't see much other competition for Vancouver gold anywhere else in the field.

Here is a video of Yu Na jumping over and over and over again. Best technique since Tonya Harding and that's a damn compliment:


No comments:

Post a Comment